multiple dependent out-of-tree modules

Vladimir Murzin murzin.v at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 00:59:31 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Jorgyano Bruno <jorgyano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys!
> I'm working with three out-of-tree kernel modules,
> one of them export symbols used by the others.
> At compile time, MODPOST warns about undefined symbols,
> which are defined on the first module
> and used in the second and third modules.
> When I try to load the modules "insmod" returns the error "Unknown Symbol in
> module" for those symbols warned by MODPOST.
> How can I to compile several out-of-tree modules which depends on one
> another and make  to the dependant modules look for the needed symbols on
> the directories of the modules which have the symbols?
> I have found a similar question
> here http://www.spinics.net/lists/newbies/msg22926.html, but unanswered.

Hi Jorgyano,

insmod doesn't concern on modules decencies. Because of that you have
to load modules in the appropriate order by hand.  You can automate
that with script. Actually, such sort automation has been already done
- it is modprobe utility (see man modprobe for details) . The main
idea of MODPOST step is generating modules dependency. It is quite
simple text file, so you can edit it by hand. AFAIR there was issue
with MODPOST when cross compiling was used.

P.S. Sorry for my weak English.