thinking of updating the canonical online udev document

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Apr 26 08:54:45 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 08:12:44AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   [not sure if this is the right forum for this, but i suspect others
> on this list might be interested so ... there you go.]

The linux-hotplug at vger.kernel.org list is where this should be
discussed, please take it there.

>   as part of a device driver course i may very well be teaching in the
> near future (still waiting to hear), i'm thinking of adding a sizable
> section on how udev works (after i figure all that out, of course.)
>
>   currently, the canonical udev document is this one:
>
>   http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

That doc could almost be removed entirely now, as no one should need to
mess with udev rules "by hand" anymore thanks to devtmpfs and the
default udev rules that are in all distros (with one notable exception.)

What is your goal in redoing this?  Why would a user/developer ever need
to mess with udev on their own anymore?

Ideally, it should all "just work" now, and I think it does given your
previous emails about the confusion as to how your driver was
automagically creating the correct device nodes without any help from
you :)

thanks,

greg k-h