Netfilter and Tcpdump

Sowmya Sridharan sowmya.sridharan at tcs.com
Mon Apr 11 02:02:11 EDT 2011

Hi,

I was analyzing some tcpdump data, and noticed that it also captured
packets mangled by Netfilter hooks.
Theoretically I know that the pcap library takes off the packets from
ethernet driver level and with the help of
the dynamic filters set by userspace, we are able to see those packets via
tcpdump.

But aren't netfilter hooks attached at a higher level, namely the network
stack? If so, then how is the pcap library able to
sniff those packets as well? Is it like the pcap library just holds a
reference to the packets it takes from the driver, or
does it maintain a separate copy for displaying?

Any answers/clarifications would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sowmya
and any attachments. Thank you