linked list within a kernel probe

chrishell chris at chrishell.de
Thu Jan 12 09:48:12 EST 2023

hello Billie, thank you for your support. As you can see I have 2
different structures. The first one is defined for a global structure,
which holds all information which I need within the kprobe (called
kprobe_head). Then I have another structure (called kprobe_mem_cache),
which is defined to be the structure the linked list is made of. So the
head of the linked list is within a structure different of the struct
the linked list is made of. I hope this is not a problem, but should not.
First I tried to initialize the head of the linked list.
INIT_LIST_HEAD(pHead->p_mem_cache) but this lead to a crash already!

To remind:

struct kprobe_head {
     struct list_head       *p_mem_cache;
     struct kprobe_fsops    *pfops;
     struct kprobe          *pProbe;
};

and

pHead = (struct kprobe_head*) kzalloc(sizeof(struct kprobe_head),
GFP_KERNEL);

(this is done in the _init function)

Then I tried it the way you saw in my first mail, with a struct on the
stack. Which is wrong, but at least Im able to setup the list, and can
traverse the list, even shortly after leaving the function, until the
memory is used again. But I can see this is not a solution.

My question now is: which pointer has to be INIT_LIST_HEAD and when?

Thank you in advance

BR Christian