Organizing patches/build artifacts against multiple trees

Sarah Langstrom sarahklangstrom at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 22:20:30 EST 2023

For developers that find themselves with multiple in progress
patchsets against multiple trees, how do you organize them locally? I
add each tree as a remote and use git-worktree for multiple streams of
development. I wish I had a little working area to go along with each
tree/tracking branch where I could store patches and configs related
to that tree without committing them, but still be able to back them
up when I push the trees to my backup NAS. I am starting to lose track
of which patchsets worked against which tree and which commit by
sticking them all in one ~/patches dir.

Another issue I have is that I put files to build a small initramfs
inside of linux/usr and a Makefile of my own to build the initramfs
and start up qemu. Again, I want to use git to store it with my
branches on my NAS, but I don't want to check it in. Does anyone else
have tips for dealing with adding personal scaffolding like this
without having it get accidentally lost? Right now they are just
untracked files that I sometimes delete by mistake.

Thanks,
Sarah