REPOST : Kernel panic when try to install Rocky 8.4

Siddh Raman Pant code at siddh.me
Fri Nov 4 16:26:49 EDT 2022

On Fri, 04 Nov 2022 15:04:43 +0530, mavis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I tried to install Rocky linux 8.4 (kernel 4.18.0-305) but when the kernel
> starts, it result to
> "Kernel Panic - not syncing : Timeout: Not all CPUs entered broadcast exception handler".
>
> I tried to use other distribs (Centos ; AlmaLinux) and I think this problem
> is related to the kernel version. FYI, the system is running on an 11th Gen
> i7-1185GRE CPU, maybe the problem is with this CPU ?
>
> With the distribution where the kernel version used is 4.18.0-80 or earlier,
> not kernel panic appear, but on the version 4.18.0-305 until 5.15.x (not
> included, 5.15.x works), I always had a kernel panic error.
>
> Do you have any tips on how to solve or why the problem occurs ?
>
> Thanks,
> Axel

This seems to be a known intel hardware related bug, as far as I could google.

While I am almost certain you have, but did you try adding the following to
boot options?

processor.max_cstate=0 intel_idle.max_cstate=0 idle=poll

This will apparantely turn off the CPUIdle subsystem, and stop power
management via C-states.

Unfortunately, that's all I know.

Thanks,
Siddh