*** Compiler is too old

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:09:03 EST 2022

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 10:29 PM <jim.cromie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 7:19 PM Aruna Hewapathirane
> <aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 8:48 PM Valdis Klētnieks
> > <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> friends ?
> > >
> > > Well... the answer to the posed question is, of course, "install gcc
> 5.1 or later"
> >

> > I tried to do that  believe me I jumped through lots of hoops but uh
> > uh no cigar.. :(
> >
> > > (and even *that* is pretty damned ancient - some of us are chasing
> problems
> > > with building the kernel with gcc 12.  gcc 5.1 was released on
> 4-22-2015).
> >

> > Show off, I had no idea there was a gcc 12  ( it is so good to hear
> > from you after many moons Valdis
> > how is the Jag and my warmest regards to miss drove a jag did not crash
> ? :)
> > >

> OK.  Im picturing Valdis' beard in a top-down E-type

It's a classy set of wheels he did send a picture many years ago on kernel
newbies irc but I
cannot locate this in a hurry. Maybe Valdis if he still has the pic could
share ? And if you meet
him in real life someday ask him about the hole in his back ? I am not
kidding he went through
some very serious pain due to a *bug* sadly not a kernel bug which he would
have simply squashed
effortlessly but something called a 'flesh-eating bug' . Anyways...

> I was just perusing this
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/changes.html
> it speaks to minimum versions of everything

Many thanks for sharing.

> Its good to next thru a bit, youll find things you didnt know.

I already did :D

> I dont need a PGP, but I know where to look for info now.

Thanks again, Aruna