EISA always probes

Bram Stolk b.stolk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 15:31:02 EST 2022

Sorry to bring this up again, but EISA (built into Ubuntu kernels, hard,
not via module) will probe and complain in the kernel messages.

Since there is such a thing as reducing noise from signals, I looked into
this:
It's pretty much the only error I get from my kernel, shown in BOLD from
dmesg (except maybe for nvidia tainting.) So it would be nice to prevent.

Now, there is no eisa=disabled parameter, see:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/newbies/msg62582.html

But at the very least, if I can't disable the bus, I would expect it to
honour my disable parameter for devices:

eisa_bus.disable_dev=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Yet, it does not:
[    0.602702] platform eisa.0: Probing EISA bus 0
[    0.603265] platform eisa.0: EISA: Cannot allocate resource for mainboard
[    0.603837] platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 1
[    0.604414] platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 2
[    0.604991] platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 3
[    0.605567] platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 4
[    0.606142] platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 5
[    0.606716] platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 6
[    0.607283] platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 7
[    0.607832] platform eisa.0: Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 8
[    0.608374] platform eisa.0: EISA: Detected 0 cards

There are many things wrong with this:

(1) Allocation failures should never happen if there is no EISA bus present.
(2) Why enumerate slots if there is no bus?
(3) EISA should respect the eisa_bus.disable_dev parameter when 'allocating'
(4) Ubuntu has EISA baked in, why?

--
Owner/Director of Game Studio Abraham Stolk Inc.
Vancouver BC, Canada
b.stolk at gmail.com