List of all available kernel modules per version

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Sep 23 14:12:03 EDT 2021

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 07:55:45PM +0200, Leon Gross wrote:

> > A:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post
> > Q: Were do I find info about this thing called top-posting?
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > A: Top-posting.
> > Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
> >
> > A: No.
> > Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
> >
> > http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top
> Alright, nice annotation, thanks.
>
> > But how are you mapping a module "name" to what it does?
> modprobe [modulename] , i thought that was how a module is mapped to a name?
> Or do you mean something different?

I mean how do you know what a module named "option" does?  What does a
list of random module names show you?

> > Why does that matter?
>
> It matters because if I have a problem to solve and I know the kernel module
> that is required to do that (like nvme_tcp) then I can narrow down which
> kernel to use.

Ok, that's different, so if you know a specific kernel module works for
a specific thing, then just look in the git tree for when that
module/driver was added to the tree.  No need to build all kernels to
find that out.

For example, to see where the nvme_tcp module was added, you can do:

	$ git log --oneline drivers/nvme/host/tcp.c | tail -n 1
	3f2304f8c6d6 nvme-tcp: add NVMe over TCP host driver
	$ git describe --contains 3f2304f8c6d6
	v5.0-rc1~52^2~57^2~20

So that showed up in the 5.0 kernel release.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h