Any tracing mechanism can track the executed instructions of a user process in the kernel?

Dongliang Mu mudongliangabcd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 04:41:14 EDT 2021

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 4:07 PM FMDF <fmdefrancesco at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2021, 04:46 Dongliang Mu, <mudongliangabcd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am writing to kindly ask one question: is there any tracing
>> mechanism in Linux kernel that can trace all the executed instructions
>> of a user process? If this user process is run on different
>> processors, traces of this process on different processors should be
>> also recorded.
>

> You've not explained in detail what is the purpose of the tracing that you want to do. Missing this information I can only provide you a list of links to various tools and methods. Take a look by yourself and try to figure out what is better suited for your needs...

I want to log all the executed instructions of a user process (e.g.,
poc.c in syzkaller) in the kernel mode and then would like to leverage
backward analysis to capture the root cause of kernel panic/crash.

Therefore, I need the instruction-level tracing mechanisms or tools.

> https://lwn.net/Kernel/Index/#Development_tools-Kernel_tracing
> trace-cmd: https://trace-cmd.org

Ftrace is working at the function level. Therefore, ftrace and tracers
based on ftrace are not suitable for my scenario.

> perf ftrace: <Linux source>/tools/perf/Documentation/perf-trace.txt
> perf-tools: https://github.com/brendangregg/perf-tools

I am not familiar with the perf tool and cannot verify if it works for
my scenario.