Kernel module that shuts down the device

Drew Abbott abbotta4 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 20:54:39 EDT 2021

Hi all,

I am working on a kernel module that should shut down the device when USB
is unplugged. I make a call to kernel_power_off(), but I see that it gets
stuck trying to call blocking_notifier_call_chain(&reboot_notifier_list,
(state == SYSTEM_HALT) ? SYS_HALT : SYS_POWER_OFF, NULL); in
kernel_shutdown_prepare().
There is currently another driver that has the same function, and shuts
down the device by calling kernel_power_off() successfully. I have tried
adding prints in blocking_notifier_call_chain, but then the kernel log is
flooded with calls and I can't really see what is happening.
Does anyone have any insight into why my call to kernel_power_off() is
hanging?

Thanks,
Drew