Fwd: Re: [GIT PULL] PCI changes for v5.12

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Feb 26 02:07:11 EST 2021

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 12:54:16PM +0800, wuzhouhui wrote:
> I'm confused about what the Linus said. It seemed that the branch cannot
> be rebased after merged into linux-next under normal circumstances, why?

You should never rebase a public-facing branch.

> Linus found this issue by check commit time of commits, but I also found so
> many commit in mainline are too young to be merged into linux-next before
> merge to mainline. If the rebase is not recommended, why people like to
> do rebase after commits are merged into linux-next?

What commits have you found, and are you sure those are not just merged
through email submissions to Linus instead of a git tree pull?  Please
note that some subsystems still use email, like Andrew Morton's.

As for why people like to rebase, I do not know, you will have to ask
them why they like to do bad things :)

does this help?

greg k-h