Generic way for verifying GPIO wakeup capability

Pintu Agarwal pintu.ping at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:36:10 EDT 2020

Hi All,

I am looking for ways to wakeup any devices (from sleep) using any
arbitrary gpio wakeup method in a generic way (either from user space
or kernel space) that should work on any kernel version (starting from
4.14 onwards).

What are the options available right now ?
I wanted to experiment with all of them and decide which is best for us.

Is /sys/class/gpio/ method still valid with the latest kernel ?
Or is there any other method to do it from user space ?

One option I know is to use enable/disable_irq_wake() API from kernel
driver suspend/resume path.
Just like this:
https://lwn.net/Articles/569027/

But this requires an additional kernel driver and device-tree changes
for each gpio wakeup, which the end-user needs to implement on their
own.

Is there any other existing generic mechanism?

Thanks,
Pintu