Fwd: Learning Linux Kernel Development

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Oct 10 12:03:26 EDT 2018

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 23:35:20 +0800, Carter Cheng said:
> 1. After finishing the book and perhaps Understanding the Linux Kernel and
> Linux Device Drivers. What is the best way to dig deeper.

There's multiple answers to that question, as it depends on the questioner's preferred
learning style and motivation for digging deeper.

(I'll just add a link so I don't have to copy-paste here)
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2017-April/017765.html

> 2. Is there some good way to figure out how to update knowledge gained from
> this book to what is in the 4.x series of kernels?

If you've studied enough different kernels so that you can generalize from an
example, the fact that 4.19 is 12 million lines different from 2.6.whatever
won't be much of an issue. If however you're still at the cargo-cult
programming level of writing code the way the LDD says via cut-n-paste without
really understanding it, you're going to have a bad time.

Somebody was keeping sample code from the LDD, updated to recent kernels. Not
sure if it's much help - if you understand the concepts involved, you probably
wouldn't need sample code, and if you didn't understand the concepts, you just
end up cut-n-pasting from a newer version....

(Two really good kernel books are Bach's book on the Unix SYSV kernel and
McKusick's book on the BSD kernel - both spend a good amount of time doing "and
if we don't take a lock here, this race condition can happen, and if it
happens, *this* is what your file system looks like afterwards" type
discussion...)