Unsupported relocation type: R_X86_64_PLT32

Aleix Roca Nonell kernelrocks at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 08:54:39 EDT 2018

Hi all!

In my attempt to write my first useful kernel patch, I'm tracking down
a possibly kernel regression on my laptop's wireless driver. I'm
trying to use git bisect to narrow down the problem and I'm having
trouble compiling a Linux kernel 4.14 from Linus tree in my Arch
Linux.

The error I'm getting is "Unsupported relocation type: R_X86_64_PLT32"

I have read about gcc enabling -fPIC by default from gcc-6 so I have
tried compiling with gcc-{8,7,5,4.9} with and without
"-fno-pic -no-pic" by running

  make CC="gcc-5 -fno-pic -no-pic"

with no luck. I was expecting those R_X86_64_PLT32 relocations not to
be generated with this options but there is something I have still not
understood.

I have been able to compile the kernel after applying greg's stable
tree patch [1] (and [2,3] for gcc-8) but the kernel refuses to boot.

Any help/comments on either the problem or the followed methodology will be
appreciated!

Thank you! :D

[1] - https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/892780/
[2] - https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/868613/