V4l2 Sensor driver and V4l2 ctrls

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 30 03:12:08 EDT 2018

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:38:07 +0530, MUHAMMED ASAD P T said:

> In reference sensor drivers, they used the V4L2_CID_DV_RX_POWER_PRESENT v4l2 ctrl.
> It is a standard ctrl and created using v4l2_ctrl_new_std().

> 1. Whether in our sensor driver, we need to create this Control Id or not.
> How to take the decision on this. Since this is the standard ctrl. When we need
> to use these standard ctrls??

When you're doing the same thing as the reference drivers, use the standard control.

If you're doing something strange and different from the reference drivers, ask yourself
why you're doing it, and whether doing the same thing as the reference drivers wouldn't
be a better idea.

In this specific case, RX_POWER_PRESENT sounds like a pretty common thing to
be able to sense.  So if that's what you're doing, use that control.  If your sensor
can't detect RX_POWER_PRESENT, complain to your hardware design team. :)