Invalid module format

Tobin C. Harding me at tobin.cc
Fri Feb 23 18:29:33 EST 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 02:42:23AM +0530, Srishti Sharma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While trying to load a module from the linux-next branch

Do you mean from linux-next tree or from a branch called linux-next in
some other tree?  (Not that it matters that much :)

>, I get the error
> that the module format is invalid, this was because the kernel I compiled
> was different from the kernel I was trying to load the module into, so I
> installed the kernel from the same source as the module, and it booted for
> only once right after the installation. When I try to boot into the same
> kernel, my system reboots. What should I do so that I am able to boot into
> it everytime ?

What are you trying to achieve?  Are you doing testing on linux-next or
do you just want to use the module?  If you just want to use the module
you could build the module for the current running kernel instead of
rebuilding the kernel.  Copy the module someplace and write a new
makefile same as you would if you were developing your own [test]
modules.

(For the record I happened to be trying to learn about linux-next myself
this morning and built a kernel that just goes into a reboot loop
without even getting to the grub menu.  It boots in a VM though so now
I'm playing with the cofig.)

Hope this helps,
Tobin.