Reviews on linux-kernel

Christoph Böhmwalder christoph at boehmwalder.at
Tue Sep 26 03:19:15 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Here's a question that the various "how to help" documents about the
linux-kernel mailing list couldn't help me answer:

Is anyone "allowed" to review patches on the mailing list? Is it
considered appropriate for any random person to review a change and
approve/disapprove of it (given, of course, they have an understanding
of what's going on in and around the patch), or is this right reserved
for subsystem maintainers and other "known" people?

Let's say I saw a trivial patch on the linux-wireless mailing list,
replacing a local function by a globally defined one (e.g. ARRAY_SIZE).
If I know and understand what the patch does, is it appropriate for me
to put an "Acked-by" or "Reviewed-by" under it, even if I'm technically
not a part of this community?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

--
Regards,