Contribute

Tobin C. Harding me at tobin.cc
Sun Jul 23 20:22:25 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 11:39:45AM +0200, nunojsa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Im fairly new to linux kernel and would like to start with some staging work (seems like the best way to start).
> Basically what i would like to know is which tree should i clone for this? My understanding is that one should never work directly on top of the mainline tree, instead (for this case) on top of the linux staging tree. The same goes, for example, for USB subsystem development in which case i should just clone the usb development tree (and the same for all subsystems).
>
> Is my understanding correct?

The tree you are after is Greg's staging tree. You can find it here.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git/

As Greg already said, the branch of that tree you want is
staging-next, also you may like to check your patches apply to the
staging-testing branch before submitting them.

Good luck,
Tobin.