How do you generate the config file?

Guru Das S gurooodas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 19:27:04 EST 2017

On 29 January 2017 at 16:19, Abel <akronix5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've posted a mail with the screenshot (waiting for moderation) when I try
> to boot from make defconfig built kernel. Basically the kernel doesn't boot
> because "Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev " it says...It's the
> same screen that appeared when I tried using make oldconfig pressing enter
> for default values.
>
> I tried using make localmodconfig but It again asks for many config params
> that I don't know anything about.
>
> Saludos,
>
>                                                        Abel.

Hi Abel,

The procedure I followed in order to compile, install and boot my
custom compiled kernel is:

1. Copy .config from existing distribution to kernel tree.

2. Run make localmodconfig (I also got a bunch of prompts for
parameters I had no idea about. I just pressed down Enter till the
stream of options stopped flowing!)

3. Run make -j<N> where N is a good number for your system.

4. Run make modules_install

5. Run make install (This ran update-grub for me at the end, though,
which was convenient)

That's it. I was able to boot into this newly compiled kernel via
grub's selection menu upon rebooting. I think you may have missed
doing Step 4 above.

Guru Das Srinagesh.