hrtimer_interrupt time sync issues across cores

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Dec 14 12:02:23 EST 2017

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 23:01:57 -0800, Rajasekaran Chandrasekaran said:

> In our multi-core x86 based system that is running 3.4.19 version of

As Greg already pointed out, that's ancient history suitable only for kernel
archaeologists and masochists.

> Problem:
>
> Inside hrtimer_interrupt function, basenow.tv64 in CPU-3 is 1.6 seconds
> ahead of other CPU’s (we have 4 cores

I may be mis-remembering, but I think the timer code has undergone at least
2 major reworkings in the 6 years since 3.4.  So there's a good chance the bug
has already been fixed.  Of course, back-porting the fix may be close to impossible.

Good luck, you will need it.