Request Chinese mail list and FrontPage

Andrey Utkin andrey_utkin at fastmail.com
Mon Sep 5 13:54:26 EDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 01:40:23PM -0400, swalow swalow wrote:
> Sorry for being a newb and speaking out but maybe the reason is that this
> mail list is in English and they don't feel comfortable answering/asking in
> it? There might be other reasons that my Western educated brain cannot
> grasp. If it's not too much work, why not give them a chance? Worst case
> they will come back here and be forced to ask the question in English. Best
> case more people will be involved in the conversation.

Replying in public.

My vision is that if some nice people of Chinese origination AND
qualified as experienced kernel developers would have
time and habit to reply newbie questions on kernelnewbies mailing list,
they would often reply also to questions posted in English,
because
 - to succeed as kernel dev you must have good English, so good kernel
   devs all know English well, and
 - it would be unfair to answer only to your compatriots when a lot of
   newbies of different nations want help, too.

And what I see happening is that no people with Chinese names are
answering the questions here. Most of answers come from Greg
Kroah-Hartman, who doesn't speak Chinese I guess. However, I'm watching
this list just for two weeks, so my conclusion may be wrong.