patch against linux-next

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Nov 22 03:14:39 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 01:48:22AM +0000, Amit Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As far as I know that linux-next tree is a preview of patches which will be
> merged in the mainline kernel.

That is correct.

> I've noticed that recently linux-next is updated with a gap.

What do you mean by "a gap"?

> Can a patch be created against linux-next tree?

Yes, it should be made against that tree as that is the merge of all of
the development trees together.

For more specifics about linux-next and how the patches flow between
that and Linus's releases, please see the great documentation in the
Linux kernel source tree at Documentation/development_process/

Hope this helps,

greg k-h