PCI drivers and interrupts

Andrey Utkin andrey_utkin at fastmail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:54:02 EDT 2016

I've worked on a couple of PCI drivers for Linux, however I haven't
studied actual PCI bus protocol and such fundamental details. Also I
haven't read your post thoroughly and haven't visited your links. So I
can be completely wrong...

But I am very surprised that you want to send interrupts from kernel (to
PCI peripheral device as I understand).

It is peripheral device which sends interrupts usually, that's why
there's no notion of interrups sending. To initiate some process on the
device, which you really want I suppose, usual kernel driver for PCI
device just writes to certain register of device.