How to locally maintain an end-of-life kernel branch?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue May 17 16:27:35 EDT 2016

On Tue, 17 May 2016 13:09:03 -0700, Michael Harless said:

> > Eeek, why?  What is keeping you from moving to a newer kernel version?
> > Why is sticking with 3.14 a good idea for anyone?
> >

> It's mainly due to certifications and testing and our upgrade process.  My
> wish would be to update to a new kernel as well.

That's a very broken certification system, if it allows you to attach
pretty much random patches onto a "blessed" 3.14 kernel, but won't let
you upgrade to a newer kernel

Thought Experiment:  What happens if you take a standard 3.14 kernel, and apply
*every single* patch from 3.15 from Linus's tree except the one that actually
tags it as 3.15?

(And yes, I've had systems running stuff certified for RHEL 6.1, but the
system was actually updated all the way to 6.7 except for the RPM that
has /etc/redhat-release ....)