How to locally maintain an end-of-life kernel branch?

Michael Harless mharless at gmail.com
Tue May 17 16:09:03 EDT 2016

Hi Greg,

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:21:52AM -0700, Michael Harless wrote:
> >
> > I'm working on a project using the LTS 3.14 kernel, but I'll need to be
> > supporting it long after official support ends on kernel.org for the
> branch.
>
> Eeek, why?  What is keeping you from moving to a newer kernel version?
> Why is sticking with 3.14 a good idea for anyone?

It's mainly due to certifications and testing and our upgrade process.  My
wish would be to update to a new kernel as well.

> > Are there any pointers or suggestions on how to monitor for security and
> bug
> > fixes that I'll need to pull in and merge myself?
>
> Look at the patches that are marked "cc: stable at vger.kernel.org" in the
> changelog area when they hit Linus's tree.  Or look at the patches that
> I apply to the latest stable tree.  Either way, be prepared to wade
> through 100+ patches a week.

That's what I was kind of afraid the answer was going to be.

> I'd recommend just updating to 4.1-stable, it will be easier and cheaper
> for you in the long run.

That's probably the next kernel I'll use, unless I can skip to an even
later one.  I'll still probably run into the same thing though, where I
need to support that kernel for awhile after it's reached end-of-life,
until I get some of the other upgrade problems solved.

Thanks for the suggestions on following stable and your patches, and giving
me a better idea of what kind of workload I'm looking forward to.

--Mike