UIO Devices and user processes

Kenneth Adam Miller kennethadammiller at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 19:07:51 EDT 2015

So, I'm reading about UIO devices and user processes for mapping memory
into userland, and basically I have just a couple questions:

What happens when a userland processes has allocated some resource from a
driver that is facilitating UIO, but then subsequently crashes? I'd like to
know that the driver can (or how you would enable such) recover the
resources so that the next user process can acquire them, instead of them
being lost.

We have a specific region of memory that we'd like to allocate to a
process, and we'd like effectively all new and delete or malloc and free
operations to be done against this target area. We'd like to not have to
use placement new in C++-just transparently for the requesting user process
to receive chunks from a specific real region of memory.

Thanks in advance.