Looking for easy first-timer tasks

Shraddha Barke shraddha.6596 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 03:16:24 EDT 2015

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015, Umair Khan wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>       On Sat, Oct 03, 2015 at 07:37:54PM -0700, Sean Bollin wrote:
>       > I read the website and searched for "TODO" in driver/staging as well as ran a
>       > few of the perl style checks - but couldn't really find something as a good
>       > intro.
>
>       What is wrong with those as valid "first timer" tasks?  Did you try to
>       do any of them?
>
>       What first timer tasks are you referring to exactly ? I've almost browsed the whole kernelnewbies.org but couldn't find any task
>       list.

You could run scripts/checkpatch.pl on the drivers/staging directory and
try to fix the warnings generated by checkpatch. You could also try
to fix sparse warnings once you have the basics right.

You might find these useful -
https://www.linux.com/news/software/lDinux-kernel/804403-three-ways-for-beginners-to-contribute-to-the-linux-kernel
http://kernelnewbies.org/Outreachyfirstpatch

Shraddha