dumping large buffers to file

Nick Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 10:35:00 EST 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 1:30 AM, Ramon Fried <ramon.fried at tandemg.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm currently debugging a ISP DMA issue in a kernel module.
>
> For debugging, I would like to dump buffers to a file on run time.
>
> The buffers are quite big, 1MB at least.
>
> As saving a file directly from kernel is discouraged, is there any available
> framework for doing such a thing ?
>
> I can think of numerous ways of transferring the buffer to user space and
> saving it by a dedicated user process (Netlink, sysfs, char device, etc.)
>

> I just don't want to invent the wheel. How do you do it ?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Ramon

If you can use printk just switch the log level to a log level that
prints to the syslog buffer
for kernel messages. If you have enough space on your partition for
root this shouldn't
be a problem, however if it is them I would recommend sysfs or procfs
exporting as
there better suited for debugging as the others are for user space
applications needing
access to kernel resources indirectly  or device driver user space interaction.
Hope this Helps,
Nick