Newbie help

Schrey, Moritz moritz.schrey at ias.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Aug 4 02:55:50 EDT 2015

If your goals tend towards

* creating something new or
* having a clearer look onto the interfaces between modules/layers

get a copy of "Linux Device Drivers" (abbreviated LDD3 here), which is available online. The example code from that book is definitey outdated and will not compile as is since it is based on 2.6.10(?), but finding the errors is a good exercise too.
Since the book is widely known, you will also find several repos, which brought the code up to some more recent kernel version.
I guess we are all more or less eagerly waiting for LDD4, which should be released in end of November.

Regards,
Moritz