How do _you_ read the linux source?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Apr 20 11:45:26 EDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 07:45:37 +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt said:

> Thank you Nick, I'm just getting started with linux kernel development
> and have been looking around for books both more general and specific
> to networking. One thing in common several books I've found have is
> that they are based on the 2.6 version of the kernel (or older). Some
> parts have changed but are entire chapters in the above mentioned
> books too old to make sense when working on version linux kernel 4.1
> and beyond?

The details have changed.  The basic concepts haven't.  In fact, the *basic*
concepts change so slowly that reading Bach's book on the SYSV kernel or
McKusic & Liefler on the BSD kernel will teach you a lot.

In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that reading how *other* systems have
solved the same issues is a Good Thing. Knowing just "Linux solved it this way"
is one thing, but knowing "Linux solved it this way, but BSD took a different
approach because X, and IBM's VM/SP did Y instead to avoid the issue entirely"
is a whole different level of understanding.