wakeup source - power management

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 14:43:37 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 8:48 PM, AYAN KUMAR HALDER <ayankumarh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is the wakeup source relevant only for suspend/resume , or also for
>> runtime PM ? for example, is the keybaord example , which you linked,
>> relevant for runtime PM too ?
> Refer to my reply in the other thread.
>
>> If yes - is the keybaord interrupt wakeup only the keyboard driver,
>> and nothing else, including the cpu ?
> In your case, the keyboard interrupt being the wakeup source, wakes up the
> entire system

Though the wakeup source is more relevant to suspend/resume and not to
runtime PM, as you've answered to my other thread question, it is
still worth to add that wakeup source exist as part of platform HW
(for example in OMAP35x, I deal with). It makes me think that the
given requirements to make all PM automatic without any userspace
application dealing with it, was irresponsible requirement. There must
be some process or thread who will need to decide when to suspend some
devices, and the cpu will wait for wakeup source to decide when to
resume. I think this will be a better approach. What do you think?