Loosing stdin/stdout over serial consoleafter bootup

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 18:30:31 EDT 2014

Hi All,

I'm having a strange problem of loosing stdout output over serial console.

I'm booting a kernel (3.14.16) on a x86_64 based board with a serial
port. The board has Grub and Linux (with a minimal initrd) installed
on a SATA HDD and starts linux with the following cmdline parameters
from GRUB:

console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 init=/bin/bash

Grub loads the kernel fine and I can see the various debug messages on minicom.

However, once the kernel starts init (i.e bash), I stop seeing any
output. There's no error, no crash anywhere. It just looks like the
stdin/stdout of the application (in this case bash) is not connected
to the serial console.

I'm sure it's a config issue, but I can't fathom what I need to
change? Any hints?

Thanks,
-mandeep