/drivers/staging/TODO doc and kernel tasks question

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Oct 22 23:18:16 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 10:05:30PM -0500, Jaime Arrocha wrote:
> Good day,
>
> The TODO document has the addresses of where to send a patch, but if
> you run get_maintainer.pl it gives me a different person to address
> it, gregkh for example.

if you don't cc: me, the patch will not get merged, it's that simple :)

> I have sent a patch to the persons on the TODO list, should I still
> copy to the maintainer in charge too? CC maybe?

Yes, and the mailing list as well please.  Trust get_maintainer.pl, it
works properly.

> Another question, apart from the /drivers/staging and bugtracker, is
> there some where else to look for bug info? The mailing list? I just
> want to get the complete picture.

bugzilla.kernel.org doesn't show much of anything for staging drivers,
what specifically are you looking for?

> Last question, I understand that if there is a bug, most of the time
> they tell you to try to reproduce it on the latest kernel. If it
> doesn't occur then everything is good and I should look for another
> one. But who is in charge of porting a bug fix like these to old
> kernels? How can I help? Or I, as a newbie,  should focus more on the
> /drivers/staging and bugtracker?

Read Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt for how patches get
backported to older stable kernel releases.

thanks,

greg k-h