lots of connections in SYN_RECV state

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Nov 7 13:10:05 EST 2014

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 23:11:26 +0530, Puneet Agarwal said:

> I use linux kernel 2.6. I have enabled SYN cookies already. But that does not
> seem to solve the problem. Overall request latency is very high with these many
> half open connections.

So, out of curiosity, where are all these half open connections coming
from?  Are they from addresses in your local network?  Outside sites that
*should* be connecting?  Places you've never heard and and probably *shouldn't*
be connecting?

(Also, if you have properly implemented syncookies, you shouldn't *have* any
half-open connections.  That's the whole point of syncookies....)