Linux reboot command takes too long

Rajat Sharma fs.rajat at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:50:33 EDT 2014

It looks like your system has:

   1. Kernel crash dump configured.
   2. Something is causing crash while you issue a reboot, may be some
   module unload path has a bug.
   3. Crash is triggering kernel dump to take dump of memory (I guess you
   have plenty of RAM to justify 45 minutes) in /var/core directory. Although
   dump image is highly compressible but compression is the last step.
   4. If there is no space in /var/core, kdump gives up and you see faster
   reboot.

-Rajat