mmap() only version of ptmalloc3 and how to benchmark it

Aaditya Gavandalkar aaditya.gavandalkar at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 15:37:48 EDT 2014

Hello,

I am a undergraduate student currently and I am working on a version of ptmalloc3 that uses only mmap() system call to satisfy all types of allocation requests and use of brk() is completely removed/avoided as college project. The memory allocated using mmap() is also backed by a disk file (which helps to reduce swap-in + swap-out time of process but adds a extra overhead).

Considering the case where only a single resource intensive and critical application is using this version of ptmalloc for allocation purposes. Rest of the programs are using default implementation. Then in this case this will be saving swap-in + swap-out time but will add disk file read+write overheads and also sync overhead.

So considering all these points, is it of any advantage to save on swapping time while having all those extra overheads.

Also could you please point out how I can benchmark it and test how my version is working against the original one.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Aaditya Gavandalkar