Query regarding suspend/resume support in MMC

AYAN KUMAR HALDER ayankumarh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 12:28:31 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am trying to understand the suspend/resume mechanism in mmc.

The kernel ( in hibernation as well as in suspend to ram) first calls
suspend_thaw_processes() and then calls
pm_notifier_call_chain(PM_POST_SUSPEND/HIBERNATION). The mmc driver
schedules mmc_rescan on receiving the notification of
PM_POST_SUSPEND/HIBERNATION. Thus before mmc_rescan() gets called, the
mmc card is not ready to be used.

So if any processes before hibernation/suspend were using mmc device,
then on resume when these processes would be unfrozen( from
thaw_processes ) and if it tries to access the mmc device( before
mmc_rescan gets scheduled), then it would hit a problem.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct or not.

Regards,
Ayan Kumar Halder