Adding a syscall to specific kernel version

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jun 5 10:45:56 EDT 2014

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 18:10:06 +0530, Dipanjan Das said:

> Why isn't there a consistent interface for addition of syscall across
> kernel version?

Please read Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt for the explanation.

> How will I get to know the method for a specific kernel version officially?

I'll be very blunt. Wiring up a new syscall is actually fairly easy and
straightforward.  If you are having trouble figuring out how to do it when each
arch already has 200 to 300 already-done examples and 4 how-to tutorials off
the net, you're probably going to have even more trouble writing the actual
code of a syscall that does something more useful than doing a printk("Hello
world").

Sometimes, you need to admit to yourself that you're never going to
be a Formula One driver...