Adding a syscall to specific kernel version

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Jun 5 10:22:09 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 06:10:06PM +0530, Dipanjan Das wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to add a new syscall to kernel 3.4. So far I have tried at least
> four different tutorials from Internet. To my utter frustration, whatever
> source files they have referred in the tutorials, at least one of those is
> missing in all the cases.
>
> Why isn't there a consistent interface for addition of syscall across kernel
> version?

Because code changes over time for valid reasons.  If it didn't, the
project would be dead.

> How will I get to know the method for a specific kernel version officially?

What do you mean by "officially"?

You have the source to the kernel for all versions, that's the only
"official" thing to use.

Why are you using the 3.4 kernel, that one is obsolete for any new
development?

thanks,

greg k-h