stability ?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 05:36:49 EST 2014

On December 4, 2014 2:27:13 AM EST, libin <libin at sgepri.sgcc.com.cn> wrote:
>   I need is what test should do before a new kernel will be released 。
>
>Maybe I will modify some kernel codes for some reason , not only the
>drivers , but I don't know whether  it is  Stable or not ,
>      So I think there should have some standrd tests  to run ,
>     So I am interestd in how the linux kernel maintainer do as usual !

I think you fail to understand the complexity of the kernel.  There are some overall tests, but in general each subsystem has tests of their own, so your question has no general answer.

I follow file systems.  The current paradigm is most file systems maintainers are going about the process of ensuring the "xfstests" test suite runs on their file system.

Thus more and more, xfstests has become the default stability tester for many/most Linux file systems.

I believe the xfs team in particular run that suite for days prior to accepting major code changes.

Even more important is that for any bug fix they update xfstests to ensure it finds the bug.  That ensures no regressions on that bug in the future.

Xfstests has its own mailing list, but I don't recall if is archived anywhere.

BOTH
Greg