Workflow improvements when sending patches with format-patch && send-email ?

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Sun Aug 24 07:27:13 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have a problem related to my workflow when patching kernel sources.
What I do by now, when sending patches:

    scripts/get_maintainer.pl --file my/patched/file.c

    git format-patch -s -n --cover-letter
    # and then appending _every single mail from the get_maintainer.pl
    # call with either --to or --cc
    # and the commit range

    git send-email --no-chain-reply-to
    # and then appending _every single mail from the get_maintainer.pl
    # call with either --to or --cc
    ./00*

The second step is mainly copy-paste from the format-patch call, but I
guess you already notice my issue: I have to "hand-copy" every email
address from the get_maintainer.pl call.

I also send my patches to two persons which do not get listed from the
get_maintainer.pl call most of the time, plus I do not send my patches
to the LKML directly (but the driverdev ML).

I consider this hard work, especially when having a lot of _small_
patchsets, as I do this for every single patchset and it really annoys
me.

Are there tools somewhere to simplify these steps? Something like

    "generate & send patches from bla-blubb...foobazbar"

and then it:

    1) Gets mailaddrs from get_maintainer.pl
    2) lets me add additional and delete receivers
    3) asks me which one gets a --to and which one a --cc
    4) generates the patches with format-patch
    5) (optionally) runs checkpatch.pl on it
    6) sends the patches with send-email after confirmation

Are there some tools out there? Or how do you guys do this? Or are
there tweaks built-in in git that I don't know yet?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,

Proudly sent with mutt.