quick help - linux Industrial IO Hardware Triggers

Sricharan Chalasani sricharan.chalasani at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 14:03:26 EDT 2014

Hi List,

Thanks in advance.

In the existing IIO drivers (linux-3.16), my understanding is that Hardware
Triggers are just used to copy sampled data from the ADC to the Kernel
buffer. I think none of the hardware triggers are really configuring ADC to
Start the analog to digital conversion.

I have a Hardware Counter on my Board. I am planning to configure my
Counter overflow interrupt as an IIO Hardware Trigger. In my IIO ADC driver
probe function I am planning to start my Counter for the first time. Once
the counter overflow interrupted is generated, inside the counter ISR, I am
planning to configure ADC to start analog to digital conversion on all the
channels (4 of them), one sample on each channel and once the Conversion is
completed, I am planning to copy the Sampled data to Kernel buffer
associated with the Trigger.

I will program the Counter again and wait for interrupt and repeat the
steps above. I am planning to continue this approach indefinitely.

Does this approach satisfy the principles of IIO Subsystem ? Am I missing
anything here in understanding the IIO Subsystem properly ?

Thanks in advance,

Sricharan,
Pune (India).