Bad Patches and Issues with other devolopers

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:59:07 EDT 2014

Hi Nick,

I came across some G+ posts from kernel developers discussing you and
your recent patch submissions. I must say you're pretty (in)famous! :)

Jokes aside, why not just follow on the advice given to you by so many
people, i.e pick an area of interest (in the various kernel
subsystems) for yourself, first pick really small ossues (but not the
code formatting ones as they only tend to generate noise for the
maintainer and not really fix anything), create the patch, see if the
kernel builds with. TEST IT, most importantly (if you don't have the
requisite hw then either acquire one, or pick another issue where you
CAN test it). Basically check everything thats mentioned here:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
http://kernelnewbies.org/OPWfirstpatch

Trust me, if you _do_ go through this process and submit a 'good'
patch, all past issues that you've had with other developers will be
forgotten.

Don't be in a rush to get 'something' in the kernel. I know its a big
deal to get things in one of the coolest piece of software on this
planet, but you'll need a lot perseverance and patience to be a kernel
contributor.

HTH,
-mandeep