module_param does not work in Ubuntu 13.10 - Kernel 3.10.0-4

binoy.jayan at wipro.com binoy.jayan at wipro.com
Fri Sep 6 00:52:57 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I use the kernel version "3.10.0-4" that came with Ubuntu distribution.
When I compile the example module I got from LKMPG (hello-5.c) and try to load the driver by passing the module with the following command, it gives the following error:

# insmod parameter.ko mystring="bebop"
Error: could not insert module parameter.ko: Unknown symbol in module

Error in dmesg:

[ 3687.132110] parameter: Unknown parameter `mystring'

However, if I insert the module without any parameters, it gets inserted just fine.

# insmod parameter.ko

I am attaching the source code for reference. Kindly let me know what could be done.

Thanks,
Binoy

Regards,
Binoy Jayan