What is the best distro for starting linux kernel development?

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 05:25:27 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Naman Shekhar Mishra
<mishra123.naman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi mentors,
> I have been studying the Linux kernel for some time and now I am going to
> try and get my hands hands dirty with the kernel. Can you please tell me
> what is the best distro for this? I have experience with Gentoo and LFS but

If you're comfortable with Gentoo then I guess you're ready for kernel
development! :P (kidding!) The reason I say this is because I heard
(I've not used Gentoo personally) that you get to build/install all
packages from scratch before using them! :)

You can also have a look at the popular ones like Ubuntu, Fedora or
Mint (dunno much about Mint though). They come with good package
managers and that makes installing stuff easy. So whether you want to
install eg binutils or a new browser or even the kernel sources, the
package manager will help you get all the stuff + it's dependencies.

HTH,
-mandeep