Filesystem and files getting corrupted

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jun 25 12:02:41 EDT 2013

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:28:15 +0200, meccomaria at gmail.com said:
> I'm really newbie and I don't know if this may help at all, but I googled
> "corruption of the file system debug" and found
> http://linux.die.net/man/8/debugfs

That won't help you debug a filesystem - debugfs is *itself* a pseudo-filesystem
that allows kernel programmers to import/export large amounts of debugging
info from the kernel - it was created because there are some restrictions
in the procfs (for /proc) and sysfs (for /sys) filesystems that make them not
very useful for bulk data.

Most distros mount debugfs at /sys/kernel/debug - so everything under that
is handled by debugfs rather than sysfs.

For Daniel's original question:

> We already tryied vfat and ext3 fs.. changed media, changed machines...
> The filesystem runs on mmc card, or on usb flash drive...

This tends to indicate that the problem is *not* a filesystem issue - you're
just *noticing* corruption of your filesystem by some *other* kernel code.

I'd rebuild the kernel, and turn on every kernel debugging option related to
memory management you can find under the 'Kernel Hacking' menu.  In particular,
you want CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB and also CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW.  Also, many
kernel subsystems have debugging code for themselves, you may want to turn
on as many of them as you can.

Also, Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar at gmail.com> had some good suggestions to help
narrow down the problem.