Writing device drivers

shampavman shampavman.cg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 09:41:55 EDT 2013

On 06/12/2013 07:06 PM, Victor Rodriguez wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM, shampavman <shampavman.cg at gmail.com
> <mailto:shampavman.cg at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've followed up LDD3 and started off with writing device drivers . As
> usual i've started with char drivers given in that book and also started
> to make minor modifications to learn it better and so on.
>
> Now i would like to know how to take it forward and start writing
> drivers for a profession.
> I know its too early to call myself a guy writing device drivers but how
> do i take if forward from here so that i can become one.
>
> Is the only solution to pick up a device which does not work on linux
> and get it working? Are there any other ways as well?
>

> Shampavman

> Hi Shampavman
>
> There are many ways to became a Linux Device Driver Developer.
>
> -> New Embedded platforms ; There are many platforms with none
> official Linux kernels ( came to my mind some with HDMI like DN2800MT)
I had to state my other problem here. Without actual hardware to work on
its not possible to do much right.
In such a scenario what can i do?
> -> Fix and test the current development kernel. Check on Bugzilla the
> thousands of bugs that haven't been fixed ( waiting for you )

here again the same thing, Unless I have the right hardware i dont know
what the heck works and what doesn't . Or is there another way to work
around this limitation?