Which repo should I clone?

Alexandru Juncu alexj at rosedu.org
Mon Jul 29 03:25:53 EDT 2013

On 29 July 2013 06:39, Dolan Murvihill <dmurvihill at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been able to figure out from all the various HOWTOs about the
> different kernel trees (main development, -next, -stable, the subsystem
> trees, etc.) and I see where the files and patches are archived on
> kernel.org, but I haven't been able to find the actual git repos that I
> need to clone to work on the main kernel, or any of the others. Can
> someone please elaborate on exactly where each of these are stored so
> that I can more easily translate this conceptual knowledge into the
> actual git commands I have to run to make it work?
>
> Thanks,
> Dolan

Hello!

It depends on what you are looking for. There is the gitweb interface
[1] for the kernel.org repos. You'll find the repos there. Git, by
definition, is distributed, to there isn't 'the one true repo'. The de
facto official repo, I think is considered Linus's linux.git [2]
(there is also a mirror on github [3], but don't try to send pull
requests :P on github for the Linux kernel). So if you want a stable
repo, maybe that is what you should clone.

For a little more unstable version, there's the linux-next repo (I
think the address is this [4]). It's there new features are being
introduced first, ,before the mainline version. But most subsystems
(and chief maintainers) have their own tree (like David's net repo
[5]).

If you want to start general patching, linux-next should be a good
start. But if there is a specific subsystem you are interested in, get
its own repo.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/
[2] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/
[3] https://github.com/torvalds/linux