Kernel Testing (was Re: Is the Kernel Janitors project still alive?)

Arlie Stephens arlie at worldash.org
Thu Jul 18 14:41:19 EDT 2013

On Jul 18 2013, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:58:36 -0700, Arlie Stephens said:
>
> > Does the linux kernel have any kind of regression test package? If so,
> > where can I find it? If not, does anyone know of ongoing attempts to
> > create one?
> >
> > A quick web search gave me a few pointers to attempts at this:
>
> The Google-foo is weak in this one. :)  You missed the biggest one of all:

Too true. One of the little known secrets of working with linux is
that the web is generally the best way to learn things - not the
source code. This is messing with my head ;-) but at least I'm getting
much better at finding things then when I started. I am, however,
still only an egg (at searching).

> The Linux Test Project: http://ltp.sourceforge.net/
>
> Enjoy.  If this doesn't address your needs, feel free to contribute to it
> until it does. :)

This looks great. Thank you.

And quite seriously, I suspect that test development is a great way to
learn - doubly so if you then turn around and fix the bugs your tests
uncover. And I've never yet seen a project where the tests weren't
suffering from bitrot or worse, so there's sure to be work to be
done.

--
Arlie